Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Joanna!

My very own Christmas came in late December when Joanna, my favorite sister in the whole wide world, came to visit.  It was oneIMG_1639 of the most joyful days of my life.  No exaggeration.  Mike and I went to pick her up at the Mumbai airport with a sign in tote.  It was near the middle of the night, yet there was still a gazillion people waiting in the airport.  The airport has a Hollywood feel, bright lights and a fenced in area that greeters have to stay out of.  Mike and I stood outside the fence, scanning the crowds, not knowing how much longer my heart would hold out.  After thinking every woman was Joanna, the real Joanna finally IMG_1634appeared (on time)!  Here are some classic shots.  Joanna with her welcome sign, part of the greeting area (not the busy part), Mike and I really excited, and a sister reunion.  It was well worth the wait.

 IMG_1636IMG_1637 IMG_1638

There may be some overlap from Mumbai pictures, but the day after we picked up Joanna we trekked around Mumbai for a bit, IMG_1606seeing Gateway of India and some other notable buildings.  Out of this batch CST is the first picture (the train station we left for Pune from and the one in Slumdog Millionaire), second is Mumbai University, and finally the Gateway of India.  One of the funniest moments of that first day was being IMG_1612trailed by an Indian guy taking our picture and/or video.  Usually people take an obvious shot and move on or stare.  This guy took his shots and then kept taking them!  We were waiting for the traffic lights to turn and the guy went on the side, front, and behind us, cell phone in hand the whole time.  Joanna certainly got welcomed to India, where we are always wanted in a photo.   

      

Joanna stayed for about two weeks and it was splendid.  We traveled down south (read about Topslip), IMG_1621toured around school and Pune, and explored Mumbai.  It was a busy couple of weeks, but they were filled with joy as I got to show Joanna around my life for the last couple of months.  I’ll post more about school and our farewell to Pune, but a sneak preview: Joanna and I got dressed up in saris by one of my students and paraded around the school while students declared, “Wow, you’re beeeeautiful” or “Why are you wearing a custome?”  I love students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment